St. John’s mission statement is “Seeking Christ, Serving Christ, Sharing Christ.”
We recognize that we are each on a journey, at different places on the road, but all walking toward greater union with God. We endeavor to seek Christ in all we do and in all whom we meet. We delight in Christ’s presence in creation, in Scripture, and in the Holy Eucharist. We try to serve the Christ in one another, in the stranger, and in the person in need. We share the love of Christ with one another, both with those we know well and with those we are meeting for the first time.
It’s been said that we are on a long journey home toward God, and the journey is better together. In walking this path back home, Episcopalians and members of St. John’s have come to accept the following as tools and truths that make the journey a little easier:
- As Episcopalians, we are followers of Jesus Christ, our Lord, and we believe in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We strive to love our neighbors as ourselves and respect the dignity of every person.
- Both men and women, including those who are married, are eligible for ordination as deacons, priests and bishops.
- We believe in amendment of life, the forgiveness of sin, and life everlasting.
- Lay people exercise a vital role in the governance and ministry of our church.
- Holy Communion may be received by all individuals at St. John’s, not only members of the Episcopal Church.
- We uphold the Bible and worship with the Book of Common Prayer.
- We at St. John’s affirm that committed relationships are lifelong and monogamous, regardless of gender makeup. Episcopalians also recognize that there is grace after divorce and do not deny the sacraments to those who have been divorced.
- We affirm that issues such as birth control are matters of personal informed conscience.
- We celebrate our unity in Christ while honoring our differences, always putting the work of love before uniformity of opinion.
- Most importantly, all are welcome to find a spiritual home in the Episcopal Church.